The colourful inauguration ceremony of the Urology Unit at Mbarara Hospital in Africa was held on 15 March in the hospital board room and via zoom. Guests included representatives from Mbarara University and teaching hospital, Professor Judith Goh, Mulago hospital head of Urology (Dr Frank Asiimwe), KCMC Deputy Provost (Prof Mteta Kein), Prof Elica Janszen, Prof Mutakooha (pioneer urologist at the hospital) and the press. The Head of Urology expressed his appreciation to those who contributed to the event including HADA.
Unit serving the community…
In the first 3 months of this year the Urology unit has assisted many in the community…96 Admissions; 4 Referrals to other services; 30 minor operations; 72 major operations and 28 outpatients.
Urology Surgical Camp
The unit also conducted its very first urology surgical camp. The camp was held for a week in March 2022 with operations and teaching. The resident Urologist attended but hopefully in subsequent camps other urologists will attend from Uganda and worldwide. A total of 47 different operations were conducted throughout the camp which was considered very successful and will be repeated
Other project highlights…
Kagando Hospital, Uganda
- Prof Judith Goh AO and Dr Hannah Krause AO plan to train doctors at a fistula and urogynaecology workshop for 7-10 August 2022.
- Drs Barbara Hall, John Taylor, Magda Halt and Hnin Yee Kyaw will join Prof Judith Goh AO and Dr Hannah Krause AO to assist at a fistula and prolapse camp planned for 11-22 August.
- In this area there has been an increase in maternal mortality and morbidity due to Covid-19. With this increase in maternal morbidity, Prof Judith Goh plans to return to Kagando in December.
- The significant travel restriction/unavailability of public transport has adversely impacted on health care and income.
- There has also been a substantial increase in paediatric admissions for malnutrition due to Covid-19 related worsening of poverty as the farmers have not been able to transport and sell their produce due to restriction.
- Prof Judith Goh will assist DAK Foundation with upskilling of gynaecologists in Bangladesh.
- DAK Foundation provides financial assistance to women with pelvic organ prolapse.
How can you help?
The Urology Unit and the community they serve expressed their gratitude for all donations and for the continued support from HADA. If you wish to assist these vital services to achieve even more great successes, please click on “Donate to this Project” in the right sidebar. Thank you!
All gifts are tax deductible and will benefit this project in their entirety except for bank fees.