Often the journey through adolescence is a path riddled with challenges…more so in an era where rapid technological advancement and the quest for economic prosperity have overshadowed the nurturing of basic family values. Our impressive team recognises this critical gap in the upbringing of our youth and the vital role of family units in shaping their futures.
Our mission with the new training project is to bridge this divide by providing targeted training and empowerment programs for both parents and their teenagers in our communities. We understand that the wellbeing of our future adults’ hinges on the quality of guidance and support they receive during their formative years.
For parents, our project offers essential training sessions. These sessions are designed to equip participants with the skills and knowledge necessary to guide their children effectively through the turbulent adolescent years. By empowering parents, we also foster a ripple effect, encouraging them to become agents of positive change and share their newfound expertise with other parents, thereby uplifting the overall parenting standard in our communities.
For teenagers, we have developed a standardised life skills training program. This program is meticulously tailored to nurture them into self-reliant, well-adjusted young adults, ready to contribute positively to their immediate communities and beyond. Special focus is placed on teenagers grappling with distress or addiction, providing them with crucial access to professional counselling and mental health support.
Through our ‘Parents and Teenagers Training and Skill Acquisition Centre’, we are not just addressing immediate needs; we are investing in the sustainable development of our society. We believe that by empowering our parents and youth today, we are paving the way for a stronger, healthier, and more prosperous Nigeria tomorrow. Tag along and join us in this transformative journey to nurture the next generation of resilient and capable grown-ups.
The non-profit organisation, Teenagers’ Outreach Ministries (TOM), in partnership with other community members, will provide a diverse resource of experienced volunteers for the training program for parents and teenagers. Mr Imo Ihezie (residential project manager) currently coordinates the affairs of TOM. Trained teachers, counsellors, artisans and technicians from the community will facilitate the skills acquisition training. A local planning committee and a monitoring and evaluation team will be appointed.
The project is in two locations, Kwali and Lugbe, suburban areas in the Federal Capital Territory in Nigeria. Kwali is a rural environment approximately 65 Kms from city centre…home to farmers, artisans, civil servants and traders. Lugbe is an urban area approximately 20 Kms from the city centre predominately occupied by working civil servants. Both areas embrace diverse religious beliefs and politically stable with active participation from major parties.
- To provide parents with fundamental knowledge and abilities necessary to raise their teenagers into well-rounded individuals who are prepared to lead a secure future.
- To assist distressed teenagers in reintegrating into responsible living by providing them with life skills and entrepreneurial skills to enable them to establish a stable foundation for their future.
Stages of project…
- Initial phase…twice yearly Basic Parenting Course for 25 couples per session. Participants will come from diverse backgrounds without any discrimination.
- The program will be expanded to provided courses for up to 40 distressed and non-distressed teenagers annually at each location…80 teenagers in total. Separate sessions will be provided for boys and girls alternatively at different times of the year.
- Each distressed teenager will be assessed by a mental health professional to identify those in need of respite / rehabilitation and any specific challenges such as addiction.
It is expected there will be fourteen volunteer staff with specialised skills and expertise in parenting, knowledge of adolescent development, strong communication skills, empathy and compassion, facilitation and presentation skills, cultural sensitivity and continuously upgrading their knowledge and skills. With these skills and expertise, the trainers can effectively engage parents and teenagers, providing valuable guidance and create a positive and dynamic learning environment.
- Parents and teenagers in the neighbourhood and the community at large.
- It is anticipated 50 parents…100 people and 80 teenagers annually
- Parents will be trained on parenting to become advocates on good parenting in the community.
- Teenagers with changed lives will give credibility to the project.
- Enhanced awareness of effective parenting strategies…evident through inclusion of parenting seminars and worships during community or religious gatherings and schools.
- Strengthened parent – child relationships.
- Improved emotional wellbeing of both parents and children.
- Enhanced life skills for teenagers…empowering teenagers to communicate, make wise decisions, problem solve, and become resilient.
- Reduced risky behaviours and substance abuse.
- Community engagement and cohesion…creating a platform for shared experiences, knowledge sharing and support for each other.
- Long term positive impacts…a supportive and nurturing environment for families and communities, promoting healthy growth and development for both parents and teenagers.
You can help…
To contribute to this project to empower and equip parents and distressed teenagers with the skills, knowledge and resources to significantly improve their futures and that of the community, please click on “Donate to this Project” on the right sidebar. Thank you!
All gifts are tax deductible and will benefit this project in their entirety except for bank fees.