Floods, Landslides, Covid-19…
Emergency flood and landslide relief continues to reach many vulnerable households in Gorkha, Palungtar and Nawalparasi. Local government bodies, local community leaders and other NGOS have worked together to coordinate the relief responses.
Covid-19 numbers have decreased, some restrictions lifted, but many are still adversely affected. ACN continues to support the response through…health awareness and promotion, managing hotline, health and vaccination advice, advice on caring for people at home, and supplying masks and equipment to covid centres and vulnerable communities along with food where needed.
Helpline a lifeline…
Khoji’s free helpline to connect people with various services has been well utilised and functioning well. A help centre attendee assists callers to access the specific support needed including counselling, advocacy, health support and Covid-19 advice, arranging ambulances and providing immediate food supplies for those without food for their families.
Skills for the future…
- Beautician training…trainees completed 3 months training. One participant has opened her own shop and others have acquired work experience in other salons.
- Videography… 2 week videography training on preparing videos and safe use of social media given to 5 young people from economically disadvantaged families.
- Poultry farming…vulnerable families in Gorkha and Kaski districts trained in poultry farming to provide a reliable source of eggs, meat and income from sale of excess eggs and chickens. After successfully completing the training, participants received a starter pack of chicks, feed and water/feeding container.
- Other simple income generating training activities taught to clients at Nawajeewan drug and alcohol rehab centre.
- Online health promotion sessions for those with internet and devices has continued. Face to face training sessions will recommence with restrictions eased.
How can you help?
Thank you to HADA and others who have supported the project. If you wish to help with ongoing support for this community, please click on the “Donate to this Project” button on the right sidebar. Thank you.