On a high…
Eleven new recruits to their local Scout Troop recently completed a three day hike to the highest peak in the valley in sub-zero temperatures! The hike was partly sponsored by My Father’s House (MFH). The Scouts are actively recruiting youth in Avian Park and Riverview – areas in which Jan Buchanan was active before she left South Africa in late 2021. The recent hike has renewed contact with youth workers in this area and may lead to further opportunities.
- Youth groups meet approximately 3 days per week during school terms and 5 days per week during vacations…older groups outing every two week and younger groups quarterly activities during school vacations.
- Skills development programme runs Mondays to Fridays every week. MFH sponsored equipment and offers a daily stipend for participants not in the six month residential skills programme.
- The two soup kitchens ceased in March however a new opportunity has arisen close to the primary school.
Other activities planned:
- Youth Camp in Wellington…run by Waterval Bediening, on 16 – 18 September…five of our youth will attend.
- Three day hike with Roodewal juniors on 30 September – 2 October.
- Four separate Roodewal junior groups to visit Rawsonville “vacation club” and interact with the youth of Rawsonville Primary School on 4 – 7 October during vacation.
Drug dependency and truancy…
Despite temporary successes drug dependency and truancy are an ongoing battle with long term impact on the children. Fortnightly contact is insufficient to counteract the prevailing culture in the community and the daily influence of their peer groups on their choices and lifestyle.
All children require parental consent to participate. Parents often request meetings to discuss problems regarding the children’s schooling or behaviour. Residents in the neighbourhoods are welcoming and friendly.
You can help…
If you wish to help these children in South Africa to reach new heights and flourish, just click on “Donate to this Project” in the right sidebar.
All gifts are tax deductible and will benefit this project in their entirety except for bank fees.